My daughter turns two years in the next few months. Our lives are definitely better because of her.(Ask those who know her. I think its got something to do with her names) . Today I would like to share a few tips on how I manage my time as a career loving mother.
1. With more and more traffic on our roads, it is now taking most people twice the time it used to take them to get to the office. I live 20km from my office. To avoid the traffic, I leave home quite early, usually 6:30am to be specific in order to be in the office by 7am. This allows me time to get some work done without any interruptions.
2. Once I am in the office, I only open my emails at scheduled times. This allows me to focus on the important matters and not just the urgent ones. The same applies to my watsapp. Without careful planning these could take over your time and distract you.
3. I only attend meetings that I know I can add value to. There is nothing more boring than sitting through a meeting wondering why you are attending and what value they add to what you do. To avoid such, get the agenda for each meeting in advance and planning accordingly.
4. I do not allow colleagues to chat about non business related issues for extended periods. Don’t get me wrong here. I am a very friendly person. Its just I know when to go on and on about last night ‘s episode of Scandal and when to stop.
5. Lastly I take my leave days annually to spend time with my loved ones. It is important to take a break and unwind. I usually come back refreshed and ready to tackle new challenges.